To state that the world has changed since the rise of Covid-19 would be an understatement. To state that the way in which we view care homes and long-term care facilities for seniors also forever changed. We need to do a better job of protecting the elderly and Amano McGann has the technology to help. I recently had the chance to speak with James Edwards, the Director of Sales for Amano McGann Canada about care homes and what solutions Amano has to help Care Homes and Long-Term Care Facilities protect our valuable senior citizens. James has worked both in the Access Control and CCTV (Security Camera) industries for over 15 years and has personally provided systems to Senior’s Care Homes across Canada.
Here is the interview:
- What were the main solutions Amano McGann Canada provided Care Homes and Long-Term Care facilities for senior prior to Covid-19?
- James – With our cameras, access control solutions and magnetic locks, we secured the entire building while providing visibility into it. One of the most important sides of the care home business is the memory care area where people with Alzheimer’s must be continually monitored. It is crucial that each door is secured and that only people with the proper rights (credentials) have access to enter certain doors while the whole facility is monitored with cameras. Prior to Covid, our role as a technology integrator was twofold; first, to ensure that the exterior of the building was always being monitored. The second part of our role was to ensure the interior of the facility was completely monitored as well; including hallways, common areas, theatres, and activity rooms. We are now at the point where we can tell where any resident has been at any given time through a combination of monitoring which doors a resident has accessed (and when) by using cutting edge facial recognition technology.
2. What have been some of your greatest success with Care Homes?
- James – Right now we have one of the largest developers of senior’s care homes in Canada as a client, who has over 60 homes from coast to coast. When we first started working with them, we were securing their exterior doors. Now this client has grown with technology to the point where they have full interior and exterior access control combined with facial recognition camera systems. They now know where all residents are at all times, 24 hours per day, without having to go and look for them.
3. When you are approached by a Care Home and asked to consult on Access Control and CCTV (cameras), what do you suggest they should be looking for?
- James – Number one is that they’ll want to ensure they have no blind-spots in their facility, with focus on areas that they’ll think could be a problem. Risk Mitigation drives a lot of the decision making on technology. Examples would be if anyone gets out of the building, we can see them on the cameras or provide direction they went if they left the zone of coverage. The operator has comfort knowing that if there is activity, for example in the middle of the night, they will know who, what time and where that person is or went. If a door is opened in the middle of the night, the system immediately sends out an alert to staff. Memory care areas have to be secured in a different way than it would be if it was just assisted living or independent living. For residents with more independence they can be given access cards or fobs to provide access to areas which are restricted to memory care residents. It is important that common areas are also monitored for safety of all residents. A lot of times with older residents they sometimes have a bit of memory loss or dementia even in an independent living environment. For example, a resident may claim that someone, “took my watch.” However, they just couldn’t remember they just left it in their bathroom instead of where they would normally put it. The camera and access control allow the operator to know with certainty who has been in the room and when they were in the room. Ultimately, our technology mitigates a lot of risk for the retirement home.
4. What has changed in your role and how you consult Care Home and Long-Term Care Facilities since the emergence of Covid-19?
- James – The role hasn’t changed, it is still a consultative role, but the technology is providing increased security which are helping these homes. Retirement Homes are the hot spot of the Covid pandemic in North America, driving the highest number of cases. Amano provides technology to measure and record the temperature of all the residents and staff as are walking down a hallway. The new cameras can measure their temperature quickly combined with facial recognition. We can remotely allow them to enter the building or not if their temperature is within a variance of a normal temperature (0.03-0.05 degrees), protecting not only the residents staff as well. There has been another new development – using facial recognition, we are able to locate any resident at any time they have passed by a camera. For example, if someone came into see their father, the receptionist could do a search and be able to tell the visitor exactly the last time their father was spotted and where he currently is. It gives family members a secure feeling that everyone knows where their loved one is at all times.
5. Do you have any new recommendations when you go into these retirement facilities?
- James – The latest development is the body temperature reading cameras. Body temperature is the most adopted protocol used to determine if people are allowed to enter the facility. This technology has improved substantially since first released and the costs are more affordable as it is becoming widely adopted.
In today’s crazy Covid-19 environment can you risk the safety of your residents? Do you want to give their families the peace-of-mind to know that your staff can tell you where their loved one is at any time? Will you make every effort to mitigate the risks in your facility? If you are in the market for equipment for your long-term Seniors care facility contact Time Business today to book a free consultation. Our representatives are happy to introduce you to the latest technology focused on keeping your loved ones safe. Please contact us for a risk-free quote.